Saturday, September 14, 2013

blogger spotlight: tiffany style blog


This week's blogger spotlight is such a huge girl crush of mine.  Meet Tiffany Olson, from the amazing fashion and style blog, Tiffany Style.  Located in Macon, Georiga, Tiffany has become one of my absolute favorite style bloggers.  I admire not only her ability to put a fabulous outfit together, but also her business savvy sense of blogging.  

Did you know that she is even the Creative Director behind Sweet Lemon Magazine? Brains AND beauty- this gal has it all!  Keep reading to find out more about Miss Tiffany, and be sure to add her blog to your daily reads!
____________________________________________________________________________________


WUYW:  Of all of your posts, which outfit or feature has been your absolute favorite thus far? 

This February I did an outfit post in a new Tibi dress that I was obsessed with, and it’s still one of my favorites. I had just returned from a blizzard in New York (literally), and it happened to be a randomly warm day in Georgia. So even though it was a spring dress in February, I just could. not. wait.  It ended up being one of my most popular posts too because I think everyone else was ready for warmer temperatures as well!


WUYW:  Why would you consider this your best post to date? 

The Tibi dress post ended up getting me selected for a contest with New York Magazine’s fashion site, The Cut, which was a huge honor. No other posts I’ve done can boast that so this one still reigns supreme!


WUYW:  How/why/when did you decide to start a fashion blog? 

I didn’t really mean to start a fashion blog, I just started a blog that I intended to use as a place to gather up all of the things I love.  Back story: Somewhere in mid 2009 I realized that my day job in Commercial Real Estate was boring me to tears, and I was much more interested in planning my wedding, shopping online and talking about fashion in a way that no one else in my world was familiar with. I think I was probably reading a lot of wedding blogs at the time to be honest. So I started the blog as Tiffany Talk on August 20, 2009, and my tagline was “fashion, fun, ramblings.”  I ended up mostly venting about wedding planning for the first 8 months or so, and I’m fairly certain no one knew I even had a blog.  

After the wedding was over in April of 2010 though, I naturally started shifting my focus back toward fashion.  If you can even imagine this far back, there was no instagram or pinterest, and the fashion industry was really just starting to become immersed in twitter.  There was no Atlantic Pacific, there was no Man Repeller, there was no Wendy’s Lookbook… There were very few fashion blogger tutorial resources. I had absolutely no direction for what I was doing, other than just blindly posting the things I was interested in.  In fact, I don’t think the term “fashion blogger” was really even out there in a mainstream way yet, at least not in Georgia.  So the point is, I was just making it up as I went, which is still pretty much what I do.


WUYW:  What was your biggest hesitation regarding starting a blog, and how did you overcome that hesitation?

I didn’t really have any hesitations at all then, since I had no idea what I was getting myself into! I’m sure starting a fashion blog now is an entirely different ballgame.


WUYW:  What would be your biggest piece of advice for others who are just starting a blog?

I think the biggest piece of advice that we all hear over and over is “be yourself.” “Stay true to who you are.  Find your niche. Find your own blogging voice.” Those are the basics that I always joke about as being the only thing you learn about at blogging conferences.  

My personal advice would be to just get going!  You’ll learn very quickly what works for you and what doesn’t.  Trial and error is the best career coach you can have.  For instance, I used to try to cover every random fashion event or show that struck my fancy. People can go to style.com if they want to see the generic photos.  Give your readers something they can’t find anywhere else, like information about the fabulous sweater that you got at J. Crew outlet that is $100 less than the online price. 

Tell your shopping/beauty/life secrets.  Readers will come back for the good scoop! I once heard someone say “don’t post about something unless you are absolutely, 100% obsessed with it. If you don’t really care about it, your readers probably won’t either. Don’t post just to post.”  I’ve taken this advice to heart, which is why I don’t necessarily post every day. (Although, sticking to some sort of schedule is a good idea. Stay consistent.)  

I rarely schedule posts way in advance, because I can usually barely wait 24 hours to hit “publish.”  If you only share the things that you are truly passionate about, (even if it’s just “I am dying over these Zara shoes,”) chances are you will build a readership that has a similar interest. Last note: using images on your site that you took yourself always gives you brownie points and always play nicely with other bloggers.


WUYW:  What do you do for a living?  

I do a little of it all. I run Tiffany Style Blog. I am the Creative Director at Sweet Lemon Magazine. I do some freelance writing and blogging consulting. I write a fashion column for a local magazine.   I work in fab’rik a couple of days a week as a stylist to get away from the computer and see clothes on people in real life.  I’m not exactly sure what my career end goal is, but it involves Paris Fashion Week and a closet allowance.  (Might as well dream big!)


WUYW:  How would you describe your style? 

I would describe my style as classic, with a twist.  I’m always headed in a classic direction, but then I like to throw something in that is a little different.  I also like a lot of black and white, and a lot of chic, minimalistic pieces.


WUYW:  If you could only save one item from your closet (heaven forbid), what item would it be? 

If I could only save one item from my closet it would probably be the vintage Moschino sheer cape dress I purchased in Monaco last year.  It has a dramatic quality that I love, and it reminds me of the fabulous trip we took! I’ve only worn it once, but I just love seeing it in my closet every day when I’m getting ready. It’s pretty fabulous.


WUYW:  Who or what is currently influencing your style the most? 

Street style is a big influencer for me. I like to browse Pose to see the outfits that are being worn in real life! I also love to browse general street style photos from pinterest or street style blogs.  Fashion week also influences me a great deal. The runways, the people at fashion week, the designers’ inspiration for their new collections, the general buzz for a new season… the entire process is a huge source of style influence for me every February and September.


WUYW:  If you could trade closets with anyone, who would it be with? 

If I could trade closets with anyone I would probably choose Blair from Atlantic Pacific.  Even her pieces from Zara and H&M are so very carefully chosen. Her whole closet is very well curated.  I’d also take: Vogue’s accessories closet, Miroslava Duma’s closet, and Elena Perminova’s closet and ability to wear anything without looking ridiculous.


____________________________________________________________________________________

Like what you see?

Find more of Tiffany here:

 
A BIG thank you to the oh-so-talented Tiffany for 
interviewing on behalf of Wake Up Your Wardrobe.

Sincerely,

 

1 comment:

  1. So glad you featured Tiffany on this week's blogger spot light! She really is just as sweet and beautiful in person as she seems on her blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...