Saturday, August 31, 2013

blogger spotlight: sequins and things


This week's blogger spotlight is featuring Haley from the style blog Sequins and Things.  I stumbled across Haley's blog through Instagram!  I had actually followed her for a while before I even realized she was a blogger.  Haley has an amazing sense of style, head of hair, and figure. Some gals get all the luck, huh?  I really enjoy Haley's playful way of mixing prints, layering, and always looking effortlessly chic.  I am all about low maintenece glamour, and this girl is the queen! 

Keep reading to find out more about Haley, and be sure to check out her blog and give her some love!
____________________________________________________________________________________


WUYW:  Of all of your posts, which outfit or feature has been your absolute favorite thus far?

My favorite post so far has been “Walk the A-Line”.


WUYW:  Why would you consider this your best post to date?

I loved how all the pieces to the outfit complimented each other. It looked effortlessly put together, and was the perfect embodiment of my style: girly with an edge. 


WUYW:  How/why/when did you decide to start a fashion blog?

About a year ago, I moved back to Jacksonville from Colorado, and was just searching for something fun to do with the down time that I had on my days off of work. Being a 27-year-old nurse, you find that the days that you have off during the week are pretty lonely when all of your friends work Monday through Friday, nine to five. I had been doing a lot of deal-finding and shopping, and through that and showcasing my own personal style on Instagram, I gained a following and encouragement to start a style blog. 


WUYW:  What was your biggest hesitation regarding starting a blog, and how did you overcome that hesitation?
 
My biggest hesitation was hands-down the fact that people would judge me. I didn’t start Sequins and Things to claim that my style is better than anyone else or that I am the most stylish person I know, and it was my fear that people would think that that was my motive. Thankfully, it was a fleeting hesitation. I ended up focusing on how much fun I have putting outfits together, and hoped that that would shine through. Sequins and Things is brought to you by me to inspire you, to help you to love to get dressed every morning no matter what the occasion!

But, my biggest concern at first was who was going to take my photos. I had bought a really nice camera, so I knew the quality of the photos would be good, but that’s only half the battle. I needed someone who would consider lighting, angles, and had an overall good eye for what would look good, and could edit! I ended up asking one of my best friends, Nicole, if she would mind using the camera I bought to take pictures of my outfit after a lunch date we had planned one day. I didn’t know what else to do, and if you know Nicole, you know she’s a pretty creative soul. Her response has been a true God-send. She said that she probably wouldn’t be the best person for the job, but that her husband, Miguel, would be more than happy to help. Miguel has had a hobby in photography for some time, but hadn’t fully immersed himself in his craft yet. Since before the blog launched, all three of us have become this “Sequins and Things” team, per say. With Miguel behind the camera and Nicole always close-by, playing two roles as a second eye for a good shot and my personal makeup toucher-upper, they are who you don’t see that play such a big role in making it happen. In them both, I have endless support. I am so blessed by our friendship, and forever thankful. Without them, Sequins & Things would not be what it is.


WUYW:  What would be your biggest piece of advice for others who are just starting a blog?
 
Be yourself! Seriously.


WUYW:  What do you do for a living?   

I earned my Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing in 2010, and have been working in primarily postsurgical settings, including Neurosurgery, Orthopedics, and General Surgery. I also spent a good amount of time working on a certified stroke center, caring for people after stroke, getting them set up to go to rehab based on physical therapy evaluations, educating them on how to modify their risk factors, etc. As much as I love doing that, I love pain management more. So, I currently work at a large medical center in downtown Jacksonville, Florida, on a 24-bed Progressive Neurosurgical Unit.


WUYW:  How would you describe your style?
 
I feel my style is always evolving and changing, but it’s always a little bit girly with a little bit of edge thrown in here and there.


WUYW:  If you could only save one item from your closet (heaven forbid), what item would it be?

Okay, this is definitely the hardest question so far! I just want it to be clear that I would save my dog named Fish before I would save anything in my closet … just being real … but I would probably save my Madewell Chambray Button Up. And a pair of leggings … I feel weird saving a shirt without any bottoms to wear with it. Can you blame me?


WUYW:  Who or what is currently influencing your style the most?

I think the fact that I live in Florida influences my style the most. I find myself in very loose-fitting clothes a lot of times because it is just so dern hot outside!

In terms of people, Tory Burch, Rachel Zoe, and Diane Von Furstenberg will always be at the top of my list. 


WUYW:  If you could trade closets with anyone, who would it be with?

Unfortunately I can’t pick just one. I love Courtney Kerr from What Courtney Wore and Blair Eadie from Atlantic-Pacific.

____________________________________________________________________________________

A huge thank you to the stunning Haley for interviewing on behalf of WUYW!

Like what you see?
Find more of Sequins and Things here:


 Sincerely,









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...