Saturday, June 8, 2013

blogger spotlight: here and now



Ok- so I emailed Jessica of Here & Now back in April to see if she would do be the honor of interviewing on behalf of Wake Up Your Wardrobe!  Little did I know that she was actually based in Nashville, TN- or that we would be meeting up for dinner weeks later.  It is so funny how things end up working out.
 
I had the pleasure of getting to meet several Nashville bloggers in person on Thursday night for H&M's grand opening in Nashville (more on that next week).  Jessica happens to be one of them, and I can now truly say that I love her even more now than I did before. If you can imagine, she is even MORE beautiful and sweet in person than she seems on her blog!   We totally hit it off and I can't wait to hang out again!
 
 What initially attracted me to her blog was her mission to create a complete, affordable, practical, and stylish closet.  She is extremely open and honest with her readers, even about her shopping budget, styling challenges, etc., which I truly appreciate.  Keep reading to find out more about this special lady, then make sure you stop by her blog to check her out!
 
____________________________________________________________________________________
 

WUYW: Of all of your posts, which outfit or feature has been your absolute favorite thus far? 

My favorite post so far has been the culmination of my first 30X30 challenge. As the name implied, it WAS a challenge - creating 30 outfits in 30 days using only 30 articles of clothing, but I did it! And I guess I am a sucker for punishment because I did it a second time & would consider a 3rd in a heartbeat!

What is a 30X30?

    1st round up post here.

    2nd round up post here.
 
 
WUYW: Why would you consider this your best post to date?

The first 30X30 challenge is my favorite because it really caused to me think about my style, why I shop, & what I am looking for in the “curated closet” that I am constantly working towards on my journey to define my personal style.
 

WUYW:  How/why/when did you decide to start a fashion blog?

I started my blog in October 2011 after deciding that all my creative, girlie, fashionable brain juices were being sucked up by the rigors of my graduate school program in biomedical sciences. I had this whole other side to me that wanted to talk about shopping, trends, & my own style. I had no idea that along with starting a blog I would find this amazing community of friends with like-minded passions – what a bonus!
 

WUYW:  What was your biggest hesitation regarding starting a blog, and how did you overcome that hesitation?

My biggest hesitation regarding starting my blog was that it would be such a personal diary, searchable by anyone on the Internet, open to scrutiny & negative feedback. Like it or not, “fashion blogger” is still kind of a dirty word. When people do find out that I take pictures of myself, write all about my style & think way too much about shopping they are surprised (shocked maybe?). But it is my hope that once they read my blog, they get it & understand just what a wonderful community it can be!
 

WUYW:  What would be your biggest piece of advice for others who are just starting a blog?

My biggest piece of blogging advice is “consistency”. Be consistent with your involvement in the community. Consistently create original content. And remain consistent in your own voice, the one that makes you YOU, not a copy of someone else.


WUYW:  What do you do for a living?  

I am a full time graduate student pursuing my Ph.D. in biomedical research, mother to 2 beyond adorable pugs & recently became engaged to the most amazing man.


WUYW:  How would you describe your style?

In three words: classic, feminine, relaxed. The longer story: I gravitate to wardrobe basics like button downs, jeans & ballet flats but enjoy spicing up my looks with statement necklaces, colorful heels & fun blazers.


WUYW:  If you could only save one item from your closet (heaven forbid), what item would it be?

Oh goodness, this thought made me want to go pack up all my favorites in a go-bag to be easily grabbed on the way out of the door (just. in. case.)
But seriously, it would have to be my chambray shirt. This is the chameleon of my closet!
(all the looks featuring this gem can be found here)


WUYW:  Who or what is currently influencing your style the most?

When I first started blogging I followed all the big name bloggers, you know the ones I am talking about & truth be told, found very few of them to be truly inspiring in my day to day style. I recently over-hauled my blog roll & started following many more new-to-me bloggers, ones that might be “smaller” but are so much more inspirational – I think all the outfits that I pin on a daily basis really reflect this new influence!


WUYW:  If you could trade closets with anyone, who would it be with?

Oh boy… I would have to say Blair of Atlantic-Pacific. Blair is one of the few blogger-superstars that regularly remixes her classic pieces, blends high & low price items, but also has beyond enviable designer duds in her repertoire!


____________________________________________________________________________________

A huge thanks to Jessica from Here & Now
for participating in this week's blogger spotlight feature!
 
Like what you see?
 
Find Here & Now here:
 
 
Sincerely,
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I love Jessica and her blog. Found her back around January and love reading very single day. I hate that I didn't get to come Thursday but it sounded like a great time! Hopefully next time.
    walkinginmemphisinhighheels.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...