Saturday, June 15, 2013

blogger spotlight: good life- a style blog

 
This week's blogger spotlight is featuring the fabulous Jill of Jill GG's Good Life (for less) | A Style Blog.  I first stumbled upon Jill's blog on Pinterest, where I saw the "50 Things Every Woman Must Own" post. Once I went to her blog, I couldn't get off of it!  I felt very connected to Jill because of her "About Me" page.  

The whole reason I started WUYW was because I too felt stuck in a fashion rut and needed to push myself.  I love the casual tone she takes when speaking to her readers.  Her advice is real, practical, and incredibly helpful.  She has been blogging for over five years, yet her content continues to grow better and stronger with each post. 

PS: Would you believe this gal is a mother of two children?  
BEAUTIFUL! 
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

WUYW:  Of all of your posts, which outfit or feature has been your absolute favorite thus far?
WUYW:  Why would you consider this your best post to date?

It is so hard to choose just one post or feature, but I would say it's actually a post I wrote almost two years ago.  I was being a little feisty and wrote a post called "dear moms..." in which I encouraged moms to be their best selves. I think the post still rings true today and I couldn't say it better today than I did at the time.  I truly believe that all women, moms included, should strive to be their best selves always and never sell themselves short of what amazing creations they are.  


WUYW: How/why/when did you decide to start a fashion blog?

I decided to start a blog in January of 2008 as a creative outlet. I read a lot of blogs at that time, but blogging in general was still in it's infancy and I don't even think there were organized "style blogs" yet. We were all just trying things and seeing what worked. I knew the blog was going to be about living really well on a budget but I didn't know it would have such a strong fashion voice.  As blogging, and my blog and my life as a mom evolved it became clear that style and fashion were going to be my main focus.  I feel like when I first started I didn't really know how to answer the question of "what" or "why" I was blogging, it just felt right to me.  But over five years later (that is a long time!) my purpose in blogging is very clear: to inspire other everyday women like myself to look and feel their best.  That is what gets me at my computer day in and day out. Women need to feel good about themselves for themselves and for their families.  I am very passionate about that. 


WUYW:  What was your biggest hesitation regarding starting a blog, and how did you overcome that hesitation?
 
I never had any hesitations in the beginning, like I said, I kind of dove in blind.  But I will say that I still have hesitations as I go along. I am constantly asking myself if this is the career path I want to continue, if this is the way I want to influence the world in the present and the future and if I am willing to risk putting myself out there on a continual basis going forward.  Up until now, that answer has always been "yes" for me, but I still question myself at times.  


WUYW:  What would be your biggest piece of advice for others who are just starting a blog?

My biggest advice for new bloggers would be to figure out what works well as fast as you can and follow that path.  Blogging is all about finding where your passions intersect with your readers interests.  So I would say tune into your readers and yourself carefully and find that intersection.  And it may go without saying, but always be true to yourself, don't worry about what others are doing to be come successful in blogging.  That won't be the formula to make you successful.  Only you can determine your success in blogging.


WUYW: What do you do for a living?  
 
Right now I consider blogging my "job". It's the equivalent of a part-time job for me at this moment and I have two kids and a busy household to take care of beyond that.
 

WUYW:  How would you describe your style?
 
My style has evolved throughout the years but lately it's seemed to settle in a classic/ comfortable/ feminine pattern.  I like clothes that I feel good in, then I feel good in my skin.
 

WUYW: If you could only save one item from your closet (heaven forbid), what item would it be?
 
One item? Oh goodness!  It would be a tie between a few of my really favorite blazers and a few of my favorite purses.  I feel like my arms could carry more than one piece in a fire! (wink, wink!)
 

WUYW: Who or what is currently influencing your style the most?
 
My style is most influenced by my mood most days.  My mood and Pinterest. I am an emotional dresser! That is why I think it's important to have really great pieces on hand that you love and that fit you well.  A great fitting pair of jeans is a sigh of relief on a morning that is hectic and stressful. If my closet wasn't stocked with pieces I love then I would reach for the yoga pants instead. And yoga pants on a daily basis is a big no-no for me.


WUYW:  If you could trade closets with anyone, who would it be with?
 
If I could trade closets with anyone it would be Jenna Lyons. I love how she mixes high and low - she always look comfortable but amazing.  Plus, her closet is basically J.Crew's closet so it's like a two for one, right!?!?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
A big thanks to the amazing Jill 
for interviewing on behalf of WUYW!

Like what you see?  
 Find Jill here:

Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest


Sincerley,






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...