Monday, April 29, 2013

wardrobe essentials


Unfortunately, there will not be any outfit posts this week!  I have officially been out of commission for over a week now due to an upper respiratory infection/ walking pneumonia .  I have never missed this many days of work before, or spent so much time sleeping and taking steam showers.  Thankfully I have had Coco and Ryan trying to nurse me back to health, and it appears that I am on the road to recovery- fingers crossed.

I have had a lot of time to do some thinking this week, and one thing that I have not covered on my blog, thus far, is a wardrobe checklist.  I have seen many of these "Closet Checklists" floating around on various blogs and on Pinterest.  I have seen some that are extremely valuable, and some that are just plain unrealistic.

I have decided to put together a list of my personal wardrobe essentials.  This has been an evolving project of sorts, and I myself do not yet have all of these items that I believe to be essentials.  I am still finding myself in an awkward transition of style.  I still have many clothes/shoes/accessories in my closet from high school and college. I do not wear them (as if!), but I mentally cannot purge clothes from my closet unless I have something to replace them with.
It literally makes me feel panicked.  

I never realized what a bad shopper I had been until after I graduated college.  I was no longer in a place were it was socially acceptable to wear Nike shorts and sorority formal t-shirts.  Most of my clothes were "trendy," and I definitely lacked the basics.  I never wanted to buy a boring white tee or denim jacket when I could spend my money on something more popular at that time (Bebe tops- I am looking at you.) I was needing to build a professional wardrobe for work, with pieces that could be worn on the weekends, out on the town, and didn't make me feel like a frumpy older woman.

I feel that I am much more educated and thoughtful regarding what I spend my money on now.  I truly believe that it is so important to splurge (if necessary) on timeless, classic pieces that will transcend the years, and utilize places like Forever21, H&M, and Zara for the trendy, of the moment pieces.   So here it is- my idea of a wardrobe checklist, and my ultimate goal for my closet!  Most of these I buy in several colors and prints, if applicable!  I definitely stock up when I find something perfect for me.



Outerwear
Trench Coat // Leather Jacket // Denim Jacket // Utility Jacket // Fur Vest // Blazer // Wool/Pea Coat // Tweed Jacket // Leopard Coat


Tops
Striped Tee // Chambray Blouse // White Blouse // Cardigan // Gingham Blouse // Polkadot Blouse // Plaid Blouse // Plain T-shirt // Turtleneck


Bottoms
Pencil Skirt // White Skinny Jeans // Leather Leggings // Boyfriend Jeans // Skinny Jeans // Floral/Patterned Skirt // Floral/Patterned Pants // Camo Skinny Jeans // Denim Cut Off Shorts



Shoes
Riding Boots // Rain Boots // Biker/Moto Boots // Sandals/Flip Flops // Espadrilles/Wedges // Strappy Sandals // Ballet Flats // Basic Pumps // Booties


Accessories
Crossbody Bag // Scarf // Gloves // Sunglasses // Stackable Bracelet // Clutch // Boyfriend Watch // Handbag // Monogram Necklace

Again, these are just my personal choices and goals I have for my own closet!
Hopefully this will be a helpful tool for some of you who also need to build from the basics.

What are your wardrobe must haves?

Sincerely,




2 comments:

  1. I'm addicted to these types of posts and this is one of my most favorite ever. Love your staples - and totally agree with your picks, they provide lots of different styling options! I'd add dresses to my mix, I can't live without a good LBD and a grunge-esque floral-print babydoll dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon PulsiferMay 2, 2013 at 7:43 PM

    LOVE the Celine bag!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...