Saturday, March 23, 2013

blogger spotlight: happily grey

  I am SO beyond thrilled to have had the opportunity to interview this week's blogger for my blogger spotlight series.  Meet Mary Seng, the beyond talented blogger, beauty, and brains behind one of my daily reads- Happily Grey.  Her blog is only ten months old- and has seemingly already conquered the Pinterest universe! I admire Mary so much- if I could describe her style in one word it would be "fearless."  She has a natural knack for looking dainty and feminine while rocking some seriously edgy duds.  I am even more excited that she has recently relocated to Nashville, TN- perhaps we will be seeing one another at Nashville Fashion Week!
____________________________________________________________________________________

 WUYW:  Of all of your posts, which outfit or feature has been your absolute favorite thus far?

Hmm..it's tough to pick one overall favorite because my current interest and style changes so much. Also, from a blogging persective, there is so much more that goes into a post than just the outfit. I
really get into the photography side of blogging and the image quality can greatly affect how the post as a whole turns out. This is something that I'm working to get better at. With that said, a few
favorites would probably be Willow and Clay Anorak, Plaid Neckwear, and my recent feature with True Religion. A casual /functional look with a little edgy is my everyday go to.

 

WUYW:  Why would you consider this your best post to date?   

 When first throwing around the idea of blogging, I knew I wanted to accomplish two things: 1.post functional/everyday looks that could actually be recreated 2. featuring items from a cost perspective that would appeal to most... all while incorporating my own personal style.  These, along with the actual outfit and photography aspect, go into what creates "my favorite post". Almost all my looks are everyday wear, that are easy to recreate, and can be done affordably.


WUYW:  How/why/when did you decide to start a fashion blog? 
 I have always had an interest in fashion, styling and creating that unexpected look while incorporating current trends. I tossed around the idea for several months, going back and forth, while also doing a lot of reading and research to familiarize myself with blogging in
general. I have a few friends and family member that blog, and were great resources for me. I finally just decided to go for it and have now been blogging for about 10 months. I really enjoy getting to share my ideas and love getting feedback from my readers. My everyday job, a critical care RN, has absolutely nothing to do with the fashion industry, so it’s refreshing to have a creative outlet!


WUYW: What was your biggest hesitation regarding starting a blog, and how did you overcome that hesitation?
 Probably just the risk of vulnerability that comes with blogging. You are basically exposing all your thoughts and ideas for everyone to see and formulate opinions on so it's definitely somewhat nerve racking, especially initially. Eventually, like anything in life, you just realize you can't live under the fear of opinions and judgements and you just got for it.
 

WUYW: What would be your biggest piece of advice for others who are just starting a blog? 
Get ready…it’s SO addicting! I have only been blogging for just a short time and definitely still have a lot of learning to do. The biggest piece of advice I could offer is always, always be yourself and make sure the material you are displaying is a reflection of you and your interests. Authenticity and originality will always be the most appealing for your reader so never stray. A few other tips that I’ve learned: Be consistent! Your readers need to be able to connect with your voice and style. Invest in a good camera. Personal images and street style is heavily influenced on image quality. Forget all the brands. The best style of all is original. It’s all about DIY and recreating old pieces in a new light.
 

WUYW:  What do you do for a living? 
 I am a RN and work in Cardiovascular ICU. I love critical care...It is both challenging and the most fulfulling job I have ever had. I recently moved to PRN nursing and the majority of my time is spent
blogging now.


WUYW:  How would you describe your style? 
I would not say I have one signature style. I tend to incorporate a little bit of everything depending on the occasion and how I feel! I would definitely choose a hip/funky style over traditional wear and love pieces with a bohemian feel. Lately, I seem to be into more edgy pieces. Overall, I just love mixing and matching pieces in unexpected ways. Once again, it just comes back to creating looks in an original, authentic light. 


WUYW:  If you could only save one item from your closet (heaven forbid), what item would it be?
Distressed MOTO boots! I live in them! I got them 5 years ago and literally wear them all the time!

  
WUYW:  Who or what is currently influencing your style the most?
 Recently...all the images from NY and London Fashion week; I'm constantly getting inspiration from Pinterest; I love Elle, People Style Watch, Lucky, all the fun magazines...


WUYW:  If you could trade closets with anyone, whom would it be with? 
Rachel Zoe, Elin Kling, Mary-Kate Olsen   

____________________________________________________________________________________
        
A big thank you to the lovely Mary of Happily Grey.  

Make sure to stop by her blog and give her some love!

Like what you see?
Find Happily Grey here:


Sincerely,


 

1 comment:

  1. she is absolutely stunning and her style is beyond words beautiful. thank you so much for introducing her, such an inspiration to have only been blogging 10 months! became her newest follower, wake up your wardrobe is the best! xo

    http://myotherclosetiscouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...