Saturday, March 16, 2013

blogger spotlight: classroom couture

This week's blogger spotlight is featuring a girl after my own heart.  Meet Margo Royle, a stylish teacher's aide at a middle school in her native New Jersey.  For some reason, there is a stigma floating around out there that teacher's are messy, sloppy, and dress frumpy.  
 
Well, Margo and I are working on changing that terrible stereotype!  Margo authors her own personal style blog entitled Classroom Couture.  If you haven't read it before, please do yourself a favor and get to her blog ASAP! She always looks like an absolute lady, exuding just the right amount of class and beauty.  
 
P.S: Her amazing looks don't hurt either ;)
____________________________________________________________________________________
 
WUYW:  Of all of your posts, which outfit or feature has been your absolute favorite thus far? 
Hmmm…this was a hard choice.  I feel that my style is always evolving and changing, so I guess I'd have to pick one of my latest posts.  I'm wearing some of my favorite pieces here ~ schoolboy blazer paired with cap toe pumps, distressed denim, aviators, and plaid.  I love the way it came together to create a easy preppy/classic look.

WUYW:  Why would you consider this your best post to date?
This post got a great response from my readers and I think it's because the outfit is very wearable.  I feel that most women could envision themselves wearing this for a variety of occasions, and it includes staple pieces that most of us already have in our closets.


WUYW:  How/why/when did you decide to start a fashion blog? 
The inspiration to start Classroom Couture came to me one day on my drive to work. I was listening to the radio and they had a poll question:

"Real estate agents are said to be the best dressed professionals.  We surveyed people to find what professionals they find to be the worst dressed."  

Guess who they voted the worst dressed professionals…TEACHERS!?!  I immediately knew I needed to set the record straight and maybe offer some ideas for looking stylish and professional in the classroom.


WUYW:  What was your biggest hesitation regarding starting a blog, and how did you overcome that hesitation?

I had two main hesitations about starting a blog.  The first was that no one would read it.  I decided that I was creating the blog for myself as a way to express myself and my style.  

My other concern was that people would think I was vein.  Trust me, I'm not delusional ~ I do not think that I'm America's Next Top Model.  When it comes down to it, you need to do what makes you happy and not concern yourself with what others think of you.


WUYW: What would be your biggest piece of advice for others who are just starting a blog?

My best advice to those looking to start a blog is to find your niche.  Everybody has something unique about themselves and their own twist on style.  Rather than trying to fit in to the blogging community, capitalize on your differences. 

My other piece of advice is stick with it!  There have been many times when I get discouraged or overwhelmed {or hate the way I look in my pictures} and want to give up. I just quickly think of the satisfaction of producing a great post, and that gives me the strength to push on. Reader comments are very inspiring too. 

One last piece of advice ~ don't go into blogging thinking you're going to make millions. Do it because you love it and think of any money you make as an added bonus!


WUYW:  What do you do for a living?  
I work full-time as a teacher's aide in a middle school, but at this point I consider the blog to be a full-time job also so I'd say I am equal parts teacher's aide/fashion blogger.

WUYW: How would you describe your style?
I would describe my style as classic chic with a hint of prep and glam.  My style is always evolving but I find that these elements are always present in the looks I create.


WUYW:  If you could only save one item from your closet (heaven forbid), what item would it be?

At the moment it would have to be my Valentino Rockstud Noir pumps {a gift from my wonderful husband}.

WUYW:  Who or what is currently influencing your style the most?

Drawing a lot of inspiration lately from my closet.  I'm trying to budget and use clothes that I already have.  I've been pulling pieces from the dark depths and trying to make the old new again.  Other inspiration of late comes from J.Crew, other bloggers, street style and Pinterest.


WUYW:  If you could trade closets with anyone, who would it be with?

Olivia Palermo ~ the girl can do no wrong!
____________________________________________________________________________________
 
A big thanks to the amazing Margo of Classroom Couture!  
Like what you see?
Find Classroom Couture here:


Sincerely,


3 comments:

  1. It took me a minute to realize that was not you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morgan ~ thank you so much for your kind words and the beautiful feature!

    I posted about it on my blog this morning:

    http://classroomcouture.blogspot.com/2013/03/saturday-morning-spotlight.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...