Saturday, December 8, 2012

blogger spotlight: exclusively chic

Can I get a drum roll...Wake Up Your Wardrobe has some exciting news to announce!  In addition to the upcoming 12 Days of Christmas Gift Giving Guides, I will be beginning a Blogger Spotlight series in which I interview some of my personal favorite style/fashion bloggers.  We have some exciting ladies who have kindly agreed to participate, so make sure that you stay tuned!  


Our first Blogger Spotlight features a fellow blogger from my hometown of Memphis, Tennessee.  Meet Jordan Russell Holt, the author of Exclusively Chic!  She is a recent law school graduate with many other talents, including (but not limited to) photography, writing, and blogging about fashion! She has a great eye for classic pieces and proportions. Be sure to head on over to her blog and give her some love.  I promise you will not be disappointed!!


WUYW: Of all of your posts, which outfit or feature has been your absolute favorite thus far?

I tend not to emphasize my own outfits. I may share some of my
Instagram collages, but there are not many personals on Exclusively Chic.
My favorite feature is the one I did of Indigo’s grand opening party.

WUYW: Why would you consider this your best post to date?

I have been shopping at Indigo for over a decade now, and it has always
been my go-to for anything. It was nice to capture that event and show
the readers about one of the great boutiques Memphis has to offer. There
were journalists from real newspapers there, but the presence of a fashion
blogger is helpful because we can be more creative in our delivery. I
didn’t give myself a word or picture quota. I didn’t charge money. I simply
wanted to cover a boutique of which I have been a fan for years, and I was
so glad to forge that relationship.



 WUYW: How/why/when did you decide to start a fashion blog?

I decided to start a fashion blog the summer of my wedding – June 2011.
I had been spending so much of my idle time --not on wedding planning--
but in fashion novels and magazines, sketching my own designs, browsing
the internet, and pinning. While I have always loved fashion, it was the
first time I had an interest in the industry’s perspective. To me, a blog is
a grassroots way to thrust yourself into the fashion world with your own
voice and at your own pace. So, I came up with a name, created the site,
and the rest is history. It is worth noting that my knowledge of blogging
and the look of my blog have evolved since the inception of Exclusively
Chic.

WUYW: What was your biggest hesitation regarding starting a blog, and how did you overcome that hesitation?

I didn’t understand how blogs worked when I started it. I mean, I knew
I could write something and share it on Facebook. I’ve had some sort
of blog ever since 2009. Before that, I had MySpace. Before that, I had
LiveJournal. I guess you could say that expressing myself through social
media has always been a draw for me. My biggest hesitation, no matter
the platform, is a fear of rejection. I think that is common among bloggers.
While I love expressing my opinions, I never want to appear to have an
inflated view of my own influence. I’ve slowly gotten over that worry. I
always consider my readers before I post, but I make it my highest priority
to honor my sense of self. That’s what drew me to blogging in the first
place, and I never want to lose sight of that.

WUYW: What would be your biggest piece of advice for others who are just starting a blog?

I read so much advice to bloggers that it seems strange to dish it out
myself. Embracing a patient attitude is probably the advice I have found
most helpful and worthiest of sharing. Not even our favorite bloggers
achieved their success overnight. It takes a lot of work, self-reflection,
flexibility, and above all, patience. I set realistic goals for myself in realistic
time frames. Patience has allowed me to continue to enjoy what I am
doing. I dictate my own expectations.

WUYW: What do you do for a living?

You probably didn’t know you were asking me a loaded question here. I’ll
keep it brief. I graduated law school in May. I am planning to take the Bar
Exam in February. I am not sure whether I will practice law. Right now, my
heart is in journalism. Specifically, I enjoy writing, blogging, and the prolific
world of social media. So, I may be headed in that direction. I do want the
option to practice law. A legal education is something I will treasure as
long as I live, but I know I can use it in many non-traditional ways.

WUYW: How would you describe your style?

Evolving. I have certain staples in my wardrobe, and I combine them with
the current trends of my choosing. I don’t shop them all, because I don’t
like them all. I definitely don’t fit into any one box. I may be preppy one
day, edgier the next, and in casual Lululemon the rest of the week. To put
it in Sex and the City terms, I can be a Charlotte, a Carrie, and a Miranda.
But I am never a Samantha. Put yet another way, I dress for myself and not
for men.

WUYW:  If you could only save one item from your closet (heaven forbid), what item would it be?

I probably have the greatest attachment to my Christian Louboutin
black pumps. Every other thing I could probably replace. I bought the
Louboutins with my first tax-return, and so they represent my first real
shoe investment from my first real job. I think there’s something special
about that.

WUYW: Who or what is currently influencing your style the most?

On the trendier side of fashion, I may be checking out the style of Rachel
Bilson, Rachel Zoe, Olivia Palermo, Kourtney Kardashian, or Nicole
Richie. On the classic side, I might check out Kate Middleton, Audrey
Hepburn, Jackie O, or Sarah Vickers. Each has a unique style and
influences me in different ways. These days, I have the biggest style crush
on the Russian fashion icon, Mira Duma. That is why she is featured so
often on my blog.

WUYW:  If you could trade closets with anyone, who would it be with?

You may expect that I would pick Mira Duma, but many of her looks are so
high-fashion and editorial. I would need to trade wardrobes with someone
whose everyday look is one with which I identify. My suspicion is that
this person is Rachel Bilson. We have a similar figure, and I have never
encountered an outfit of hers I wouldn’t die to own.

I hope you all enjoyed getting to meet a new blogger, like Jordan from Exclusively Chic!  If you are interested in participating in this series, please feel free to email me at wakeupyourwardrobe@gmail.com.  

Have a great weekend and make sure you stop back by- the 12 Days of Christmas Gift Giving Guide begins this week on December 10!

Sincerely,



2 comments:

  1. Love your blog! You have great style! xo.
    Megan

    Newest follower! I'd love for you to check out my fashion blog and follow along too!
    www.forallthingslovelymr.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will be sure to check out your blog ASAP :)

      Sincerely,
      Morgan

      Delete

Thank you for your sweet comments! I read each and every one of them.
xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...